shabby blogs background

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

cupcake week



this week is cupcake week and today i am posting my favorite banana bread recipe as cupcakes.  i've tried dozens of recipes and my grandma's recipe is still the best- it always turns out just right. 
the recipe:

½ cup shortening

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

2 cups flour

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

4 cups smashed bananas

2 tsp vanilla

1 cup chopped nuts

½ cup water

 topping:

3 oz of melted bittersweet chocolate

Preheat oven to 350° degrees.  Prepare muffin tins with liners (makes 24 cupcakes).  Cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add eggs one at a time and blend until barely mixed  Sift the dry ingredients and gradually add them to the shortening mixture.  Add bananas, vanilla, nuts and water as needed to create proper consistency (should be runny, that's what makes them moist).  Bake for 23 minutes.  The tops should be golden brown.  Let the cupcakes cool and if so desired top with the melted chocolate.  I prefer mine with sugared butter, so do whatever you want.

next i'm trying the strawberry sprinkles cupcake recipe.  i just can't decide how to frost them.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

yea for cupcake week! bummer about the sprinkles recipe! I guess I'll just have to settle for the real deal.

STEVEN said...

Yah, but can you write "Get Tapped This Summer" on a cupcake?

Karen Hansen Goodwin said...

Yummy - Thanks for the receipe
love ya kk

Lisa Maria said...

Ali... you read my mind. I accidentally let several bananas go bad this week. I feel like with this recipe, I can turn this around and look like I did it on purpose. Thanks girl!